Those who are wise will shine like the brightness of the heavens... Daniel 12:3

Those who are wise will shine like the brightness of the heavens... Daniel 12:3

Monday, July 14, 2008

Touch Football and Childlike Faith?

This will be the last Devotional for a week or so, Until I return from Rocky Mountain High with our Church Youth Group. I hope to recharge the batteries there and spend some GREAT time with the Lord. Thanks to all of you faithful readers, and those who get this delivered right to you inbox. Here is this weeks Devotional

A very good friend of mine Joel, was married this last weekend. The wedding reception was at his now in-laws back yard of their house. With the music playing I took a stroll through the back yard to see how things were going. I couldn't help but notice that the kids, probably ages 4 or 5 to around 12 years old , really didn't care what was going on. Upon further investigation I found out why. They were all playing a game of touch football. As I observed the kids, they allowed each person to take turns as the quarterback. There were kids from all over back there, some from his wife's hometown, others from Joel and I's hometown. What caught me off guard was that there was never an argument from them. They were getting to know each other introducing themselves to each other, and surprisingly all enjoyed each others company. As I watched this I couldn't help but realize that the older we get as Christians the harder it is for us to show this childlike faith. The more research I looked over, I found that Jesus actually commands us to have childlike faith in our lives. In the book of Matthew verses 18: 2-4 he tells us: "2He called a little child and had him stand among them. 3And he said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. 4Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven." The children in this story represent ourselves. Their love for each other represents what we used to have when we were younger. Over the years we have been told by society and our news to not trust people and beware of all things. These young people showed me exactly what childlike faith is. A group of people having fun, no matter race or social economic status. When was the last time a group of us adults started up a game with all complete strangers? So go ahead and turn off that T.V. and newscast and pick up something fun. You never know who you may start the game of life with, but do it in a childlike fashion!

Chapter of the week: Matthew 18:


Prayer: Dear Lord allow me to have childlike faith in my life. Allow me to understand that you are all I need and that you will protect me.

No comments: